The Future is What You Make It

It's been a bit since my last post, and to be honest, I regret neglecting writing. I don't really have an excuse; although I could provide plenty:

The holidays
The New Year
I lost my job
I've been busy
Wallowing in self-pity

You know, good stuff. Yes, you heard right, after nearly 13 years of regular, consistent employment, I've found myself on the outside looking in, along with a whole bunch of other people. All the employment experts tell you that 80% of people find a job through their network and that things are "turning around."

My experience thus far (yes, I know, it's only been two weeks since my last day) has been that there are tons of jobs out there, and some of them are pretty good ones that I'm qualified for and could do well with. The problem is that there are tons of people out there who are working hard for those same jobs as I am.

Therein lies the problem for me. No longer am I able to throw my resume and customized cover letter into the fray and expect a call back from an employer eager to hire me. Nope. Now it takes a concentrated effort to carefully match up job requirements with experience, qualifications and "here's what I can do for you" sorts of statements that are short and powerful enough to catch and keep the attention of the hiring manager.

So, I started thinking about what I can do to level the playing field. When it comes right down to it, there's no substitute for hard work. I mean, the "rolling up your sleeves" "nose to the grindstone" "take no prisoners" sort of work to find that next perfect fit for me. I know it may take some time, but that's okay.

My plan is a simple one: First, I'm writing a focused plan on what I'm looking for in my next job. Then, I'm listing the companies that can fulfill what I'm seeking. Next, I'm searching my network for people I know, or people they know in those companies who can help me. If I don't find someone I know, I'll list those people I need to get to know. Finally, it's time to do some target marketing to those people and show them the benefits of me; how I can help them achieve their goals, make them look good, and most importantly, how I can make and save money.

That's it. A pretty simple formula on paper, but one that will take some focused effort and concentrated energy. No room for discouragement. No place for doubt. Just an iron willed desire to succeed and look the future in the eye and make it what I want.

That's my perspective. What's yours?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Underwhelmed by Tiger's Tale

Thumbing Through Life